The Elephant Managers Association is a non-profit organization that is run in accordance with the bylaws below.
*Bylaws may be amended by the Executive and/or Board of Directors until a quorum is reached.
The Elephant Managers Association Member’s Code of Ethics
- The obligation of all Members of The Elephant Managers Association (EMA) is to promote and advance the welfare of elephant and the profession of elephant handling and care.
- We recognize that not all members of the EMA are professionally engaged in captive management of elephants, however it is the duty of all Members to do their utmost to maintain the highest degree of professional competence and ethical standards in managing elephants, when applicable.
- Each Member will support the objectives of the EMA as reflected by the Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws of the EMA and resolutions duly adopted by the Board of Directors and Members of the EMA.
- It will be considered unethical behavior if a Member deviates from the EMA Code of Ethics or is part of an action that would be detrimental to elephants, elephant management, other members of the EMA or the EMA it’s self.
Commitment of EMA Members
As a Member of the EMA, I will be committed to:
- Promoting the interests of the EMA and cooperate with fellow Members by demonstrating the highest level of professionalism in dealing with the public, media, professional associates and fellow EMA Members.
- Aiding in the development of those who choose to enter the elephant handling profession by assisting them in understanding the functions, duties and responsibilities of elephant management.
- Encourage active research and the dissemination of all relevant achievements to professional elephant and zoological managers through The Journal of the Elephant Managers Association (JEMA) and other appropriate publications.
If applicable, as a member of the EMA working directly with elephants in human care, I will be committed to:
- Displaying the highest level of ethical standards, respect and care of the elephants in my charge in accordance with all state and federal regulations.
- Maintain the highest possible safety standards at all times.
- Provide the best possible husbandry and veterinary care of elephants.
- Endeavor at all times to improve the environment for all elephants in human care, particularly those in my charge.